Sunday, January 13, 2013

Animals Scare me Stiff - Childrens Book

Animals scare me stiff is a children’s story book which I read with surprise to me. The reason that I write this is because in my experience the first time that children meet a large dog  they tend to be fearful.

I would not like your child, who is not used to having animals around him become scared of animals as a result of reading this book for kids. I am sure it was not the author’s intention for children to be fearful of animals but instead be able to frighten them away.

In fact, I am not sure that I would  recommend this book to a parent to read to their child, if the child was not used to playing with animals.

I do however, have to acknowledge that the view I hold of this book is not universal. The Independent on Sunday commented ….”Hilariously Rude” and the TES primary commented …”unrelenting wit and inspired drawing”

One the dog food bowl there written “Pedigree Boy”. The small boy is lying  in the bowl with dog food half covering him up. There is an enormous giant size like dog looking down on the little boy.

There is no doubt that there is wit in this book. My only concern is that it is possible that the wit will not be understood by kids at such a young age.

You as parent know your child best and are in a position of knowing if your child is confident around animals and will take this book in the sense that it has been written.

The young boys scariest weapon is himself and he manages to scare all of the animals away. This saves the day in this book for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment